Lincolnshire transport heritage
The Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society was founded by a group of local businessmen in 1959 with the aim of preserving local vehicles of historic interest.
Former Lincoln Corporation bus number 5, registration VL 1263, was the Society’s first vehicle and this was soon joined by others. Vehicles were initially kept at the Sobraon Barracks on Burton Road, but in 1962/63 land on Whisby Road, North Hykeham was acquired and the Society moved into what is now the Lincolnshire Road Transport Museum. The first building to be erected on the site in 1966 was a wooden former ‘NAAFI’ building. In 1993 the Society received a grant from North Kesteven District Council and together with its own funds and financial support from Beckside Construction the old ‘NAAFI’ building was demolished and the new museum erected. The museum was granted Registered Museum Status, followed by Accredited Museum Status in 2009 and now houses a collection of over sixty-five vintage cars, buses and commercial vehicles spanning more than eighty years of road transport history, painstakingly restored by skilled enthusiasts. Displays around the museum capture scenes from yesteryear as well as artefacts that complement the vehicle collection. This is a destination certainly worth visiting, whether it is for a trip down memory lane for the seniors or a peep into the past for the younger visitor.
For more information telephone 01522 500566 or go to the website www.lvvs.org.uk