College celebrates 70th anniversary
Riseholme College, part of Bishop Burton College, celebrated the 70th anniversary of its founding with a dinner held at DoubleTree by Hilton Forest Pines Spa and Golf Resort, Brigg.
The Riseholme Hall estate was bought by the Education Committee in 1946 with the Ministry of Agriculture agreeing it would be used for the training of ex-servicemen. For the first two years it was run by the County War Agricultural Executive Committee (CWAEC) but local students from the Lindsey area struggled to find training places and CWAEC was asked to terminate its lease.
On 1st October 1949 Riseholme Farm Institute was born, subsequently known as Lindsey Farm Institute and in 1966 as Lindsey College of Agriculture. In 1980, the Lindsey College of Agriculture, the Kesteven Agricultural College and the Holbeach Agricultural Centre merged to become the Lincolnshire College of Agriculture and Horticulture.
During 1994, the Lincolnshire College of Agriculture and Horticulture merged with De Montfort University. In October 2001, the Lincolnshire School of Agriculture transferred to the University of Lincoln. September 2002 marked the closure of the Caythorpe campus, and the relocation of its courses to Riseholme. Riseholme College is now part of Bishop Burton College and delivers a variety of further education college programmes and degrees.