De Wint collection has local appeal
Peter De Wint’s (1784–1849) association with Lincolnshire began with his meeting William Hilton and his marriage to Hilton’s sister in 1810. William Hilton lived close to the Cathedral in Lincoln and De Wint painted the landscape on his many visits. De Wint’s works have long been sought after by collectors but his connection to Lincolnshire has a special appeal for local collectors.
The Usher Art Gallery in Lincoln has a large collection of his works, many on permanent display.
One keen private collector was the late Dr Frank Pinchbeck. Born in Grimsby in 1936 he attended Winterton Grammar School and studied medicine at Sheffield University. As a newly qualified GP he moved to Heckington, near Sleaford, in 1962 to serve the local community and later became president of the Heckington Show. In his remaining spare time he collected porcelain, silver and De Wint artworks, five of which were consigned to auction in November.
All were keenly contested and all fetched more than the top auction estimate. Of the five pictures, four sold to Lincolnshire buyers reflecting Peter De Wint’s continuing appeal to locals.