Lincolnshire sausage hot dogs with caramelised onions in cider
Now that summer’s finally in full swing I thought these succulent sausages were a very simple yet perfect way to capture that incredible sunshine cider taste! I’ve roasted mine in the oven for a deeper, richer flavour but they could easily be started this way and then finished off on the barbecue for a more authentic vibe!
• Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
• Prick your sausages once with a sharp knife, place them in a bowl and cover them with a glass of cider. Let them marinate for at least an hour.
• Place the sausages in a roasting dish, pour over a little of the cider and roast in the oven until golden – roughly 30 minutes.
• Meanwhile gently sauté the onions in a little butter and oil until beginning to turn dark brown; this should take about 20 minutes adding a teaspoon of sugar and the thyme halfway through. Don’t leave them unchecked, they will need stirring throughout.
• After 20 minutes turn the heat up to full and throw in a glass of cider and let it bubble away until you are left with sticky, golden onions.
• Place a sausage into a roll and cover with onions.
Eat and of course enjoy!
Don’t forget to follow Dominic on his blog: belleaukitchen.blogspot.com