Smoked haddock Scotch eggs
• Place the potatoes into a pan of boiling salty water and cook for 15 minutes. Once cooked and soft to touch with a fork, drain and place back into the pan. Mash immediately, using a masher or fork. Leave to one side to cool.
• Add the haddock with its skin on, milk and bay leaf into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute, before removing from the heat and leaving to one side to sit in the heated milk for a further 2-3 minutes. Once the fish is cool enough to handle, remove from the milk and flake into the potato, disposing of its skin. Stir in the tarragon, parsley, lemon juice and zest. Mix well, using your hands if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
• Lightly dust a baking sheet with 15g flour and spread over the potato and haddock mixture. Sprinkle a little more flour over the top and leave to cool.
• Bring a pan of water to the boil and place in 4 eggs. Cook for 5 minutes for soft boiled eggs. Remove from water and cool, before peeling away the shell.
• Heat your deep fat fryer, or bring a deep heavy based pan of rapeseed or vegetable oil to 160ºC.
• Dust hands with flour and take ¼ of the potato and haddock mixture. Flatten into a 10cm round and place one of the eggs into the centre. Carefully work the mixture around the egg, ensuring it is fully covered and that there are no gaps. Repeat with the other 3 eggs.
• Place the uncooked egg into a bowl and whisk. Place the remaining flour in another and panko breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
• To make the Scotch eggs, you will need one ‘dry hand’ and one ‘wet hand’. One egg at a time, place into the flour, the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat this to ensure that the potato and haddock is fully covered. Place to one side, whilst you repeat this for the remaining 3 covered eggs.
• Pre-heat your oven to 175ºC and have a clean baking sheet on standby. Carefully place the Scotch eggs into the fryer and cook until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove and place onto the baking sheet, cooking for
a further 5 minutes in the oven.
• Serve with salad and enjoy hot or cold.